Thursday, January 1, 2015

Cleaning the RV


How long does it take to clean the RV?
Today I gave everything a thorough cleaning and timed how long it took.  It only took about an hour of actual cleaning time.  It is fast to clean up a mess in the RV as well.


How often do we clean the RV? 
I've noticed that my cleaning habits have changed since we moved into the RV. Because we live in such a small space, I've noticed that I need to clean certain areas, particularly the bathroom, every couple of days.  However, I still like to do a thorough cleaning once / week.  

Which cleaning products do we use?
  •  Scrub Sponge - I've noticed that I've changed the cleaning products I use because the surfaces in the RV are different.  For example, the bathroom sink & tub (including the faux tile surround) are plastic, so they will scratch easily.  But, they also get a layer of grime on there if not scrubbed properly.  So, I use a scrub sponge that won't scratch pots.  And, it doesn't seem to scratch the plastic. It also works great for wiping down the walls.
  •  Disinfecting Wipes have now become my best friend.  They work really well for wiping down all the surfaces, which are mainly Formica.  I keep them in the bathroom so I can grab them as needed to disinfect.  The toilet seat & lid are made of wood, so I use the disinfecting wipes there as well.  By the way, I like the lemon ones better than the ones pictured above.
  •  Meyer's Bathroom Cleaning Spray - I spray the Meyer's Bathroom Cleaning Spray on my sponge to clean the tub & sink.  Also, the toilet bowl is porcelain.  
  • Duster - I still use my duster the same as I used to in our apartment to dust and keep the cobwebs away.
  • Toothbrush - Toothbrushes are great for cleaning crevices around the stove, faucets, & tub.
Bathroom sink

By the way, Chad helps me with the cleaning much of the time.  He's really good at it.  :-)

Which vacuum do we use?
I really miss the large vacuum we used to have in our apartment.  But, we needed to  purchase something smaller for the RV.  So, I read a lot of the reviews on the small battery powered dust buster type vacuums, but they all seemed to die within a year.  So, we finally decided to get an electric one.  None of them had super great reviews, but I'm happy with the one we chose, the Dirt Devil Scorpion Quick-Flip Turbo Handheld Vacuum, M08225X .  So, here's my review of this vacuum:

The pros
  1. I like all of the attachments that it came with.
  2.  It is a powerful little sucker & gets the job done well.
The cons
  1. It overheats easily.  I can't vacuum the entire RV in one shot.  I have to turn it off and give it a break about halfway.
  2. The little quick flip crevice tool already broke, but I can put it in manually now.  So, it still works.
  3. It's loud.  But, what do you expect if you want something that's powerful?
 Overall, I recommend it.  I give it 4 out of 5 stars.  It gets the job done & I'm satisfied with that.

This brush works great for vacuuming the carpet & upholstery.


I also love the crevice tool

Update - 3/5/15 - We received a notice from Amazon.com that the Turbo tool for the vacuum has been recalled.  If you have happened to purchase one of these models, you can find out more information here:
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Dirt-Devil-Recalls-Hand-Vac-Turbo-Tool-Accessory/
http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2015/43909r-eng.php

No comments:

Post a Comment